Members of the CAJ Hall of Fame have all fulfilled the following criteria before being selected:
- Served as a quality/competent jazz educator for over 20 years with consistency.
- Jazz groups/students visible in jazz community and of outstanding quality.
- Also worked as an: adjudicator/clinician/soloist/mentor/audition coach, festival host/camp instructor.
- Contributed as a state/regional/national officer for professional musical organization.
- Written or recorded either clinics, music or books on jazz.
- Retired from education.
- Nominated by the CAJ board.